Generational curses can be broken
Break generational curses
I don’t believe Christians can live under generational curses… but I do believe they can be affected by spirits that have entered through those curses before they accepted Jesus.
Just like many people’s past actions before they came to Christ have landed them in demonic bondage and caused them to pick up demons. Those demons are not automatically shed at the time of salvation, they often need to be cast out and many of them hang around for years and years, waiting for the time when you try to serve the Lord and then they manifest and cause harm if you don’t get rid of them.
The same is true with demons that enter in through generational curses (a doorway to demons).
How you deal with a spirit that has entered through a generational curse is very simple:
Mark 16:17, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils…”
Learn of the Spiritual Authority that Jesus has given you over demon spirits, and by faith, you can command those spirits to leave you in Jesus’ name! If you can’t seem to get them out, try prayer and fasting, as Jesus clearly stated, some demons won’t come out unless you have a higher level of faith that only prayer and fasting can bring you into (Matthew 17:19-21).
Just as other demons don’t automatically leave at the time of salvation… neither do the demons that you get from your ancestors automatically leave you either.
Let’s say that you accept Jesus around 21.
Because you were born a sinner and outside of God’s covenant, you were still living under the curses handed down to you and demons could have entered you through those curses. Once you’ve accepted Jesus, those curses are broken automatically, but often the demons that entered in before you accepted Jesus still need to be cast out.
In other words, the curse is already broken, and there’s no need for you to break any generational curses. But the demons who entered into you through those curses before you accepted Jesus may still need to be cast out. That’s why it seems so many believers are living under generational curses, when the Bible makes it clear that we have been freed from any curses handed down from our forefathers!
Jamael’s grandparents have almost perfect health well into their 80′s, while it seems the family tree has many health problems that have been handed down from the forefathers. They seem almost immune from the health problems in the family tree!
Sure, they take care of their bodies, but they also believe that they have been freed from the curses handed down in the family tree, and since no demons have entered them to take advantage of those old curses, they were freed from the effects simply by standing on what Jesus had done for them on the cross!
On the other hand, if demons have entered you through curses handed down to you before you became a Christian, then those demons may need to be cast out. Demons often don’t leave on their own accord, and when they don’t, the remedy to get rid of them is by casting them out.
There’s a neat story in Mark 9:17-27, where Jesus deals with what is almost certainly a generational curse (verse 21).
A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”
19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”
20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.
21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”
“From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”
23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”
24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
Notice that Jesus didn’t have the boy confess the sins or iniquities of his ancestors, He cast out the demons that entered in through the curse. That’s how I believe we are to deal with the affects of a generational curse; since the curse has been broken, all there is left to do is just cast the demons out that entered into that person’s life back before they became a Christian (before the curse was broken).
Confess what is rightfully yours!
We know that our generational curses have been broken in Jesus’ name, but I still like to verbally confess what is going on and what is rightfully ours anyways, because there’s power in our verbal confessions, and helps us to realize that we are set free, and also lets the enemy know that he’s in trouble!
I want everyone to take turns confessing this prayer in the name of Jesus!
In the name of Jesus, I confess the sins and iniquities of my parents (name specific sins if known), grandparents (name specific sins if known), and all other ancestors. I declare that by the blood of Jesus, these sins have been forgiven and Satan and his demons can no longer use these sins as legal grounds in my life!
In the name of Jesus, and by the power of His blood, I now declare that all generational curses have been renounced, broken and severed, and that I am no longer under their bondage!
In the name of Jesus, I declare myself and my future generations loosed from any bondages passed down to me from my ancestors. AMEN!
The price for generational curses has been paid!
The good news is that once you accept Jesus, the transference of bondage stops from your ancestors by means of generational curses. You can no longer receive spiritual bondages in this manner from your parents once you accept Jesus!
Galatians 3:13, “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:”
Once you become a child of God, no longer will the sins of your forefathers cause curses to transfer into your life: Jeremiah 31:29-30, “In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children’s teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.”
You don’t have to let sin and shame cripple you. These steps can help you discover freedom from your past.
- RECOGNIZE THE CURSE. In order to get set free and stay free, you have to admit you have a problem. That sounds simple, but we live in a day and age of denial. No matter what has happened to us in our lives, each of us are responsible for the choices and decisions we make. If you really want to be free, you will accept that responsibility.
- BREAK THE CURSE. As we apply God’s Word and power to our lives, and as we choose to walk in righteousness and obedience to God, the chains of bondage will be broken. There are three steps to breaking a generational curse:
- (1) Give your life to Jesus; the blood of Jesus removes our sin; (2) Fight the battle with spiritual weapons (such as the Word of God and the armor of God); and (3) Regain control over the power of your will. When Jesus shed His blood, he bought back our willpower. Through the blood of Jesus, we can say no.
- REVERSE THE CURSE. There are three keys you can use to reverse the curse and live in victory: (1) Recognize your enemy. We battle not with flesh and blood. Our enemy is Satan, and the battle is spiritual. (2) Forgive people who have hurt you. (3) Treat causes, not symptoms (for example, insecurity, jealousy or fear).
- RELEASE THE POWER OF LOVE. To become people whose lives are transformed by the love of God, we must not only get rid of what holds us captive and keeps us in bondage, but we must also be filled up with love–for God, for self and for others. Unconditional love will release blessing. To know more of the love of God in your life, love those who have hurt you, those who have opposed you and those who have sinned against you.
- DEVELOP A GODLY ATTITUDE. A good attitude does not make everything go perfectly all the time. Matthew 5:45 tells us that God sends the rain on the just and the unjust. But our attitude determines whether the rain will water the seeds of our harvest or wash those seeds away. Get serious about where you are going with God by getting your attitude lined up with His Word, having faith and trusting in Him.
- ALIGN YOUR WORDS WITH GOD’S WORDS. Your words give evidence of your faith, and they should reflect God’s good purposes for you. Exchange your negative words for positive words, exchange your negative thoughts for positive thoughts, and exchange your negative actions for positive actions.
- ACCEPT GOD’S ACCEPTANCE. Jesus didn’t come to condemn us or punish us. He came to give us hope that our lives really can be different. We don’t have to live under the burdens of pain, hurt, shame or sorrow. All the power in heaven is available to you to set you free from every chain that binds you. Corrie ten Boom said, “There is no pit so deep that God’s love is not deeper still.”
- WALK IN OBEDIENCE. In order to break free from the curses and walk in freedom, you must learn to walk in obedience to God’s ways. We don’t have to be perfect or without mistakes, but our hearts need to be surrendered and pliable toward God. We need to be moving forward in the things of God every day of our lives. Today’s decisions determine our tomorrows. There is a miracle on the other side of your obedience.